Secure a public instance with SSH-2 RSA. This would be done for provisioning private key based SSH access to a user test on the remote machine.
A larger reference is available in the above link. I have tried the multi node password less test user setup.
- Create the user for secure access on the remote machine. In case its a cluster then on all the nodes of the cluster.
$ adduser test $ passwd test t35t
2. Generate a public(id_rsa.pub)/private(id_rsa) KeyPair without a pass. The path shall be /home/test/.ssh
$ ssh-keygen -t rsa
3. Add the public key string which looks something like below, in id_rsa.pub to the OpenSSH keys file at /home/test/.ssh/authorized_keys
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1 ... ... ...3PGVu4D+37RA0expQUJX1p++JtLlaw== rsa-key-20150623-test-user
4. Move the generated keys id_rsa, id_rsa.pub and authorized_keys to all the test nodes we want password-less access to.
Make sure the files are readable with the right permissions on the remote machines chmod 700 ~/.ssh chmod 600 ~/.ssh/*
5. Access the nodes from another machine with the private key in the .ssh folder
$ ssh -v firstname.lastname@example.org # should log in without a password
6. Share the key with another user in a ppk file for putty based access.
Move the private key to another system and use windows puttygen to load it and save the private key as a ppk file . Use this private key file in pageant to access this instance as team user